Snacking is where many diets go astray, undoing all those carefully prepared healthy meals with a sudden influx of sugar. Eating filling and satisfying meals will reduce your desire to snack, but everybody needs a little in-between meal now and then to keep them going. Because we want to help you look after all aspects of your healthy lifestyle, here are some quick and easy snacks to satisfy your hunger without messing with your diet.
Healthy Snack Recipes for the Busy Person
Ham and Jicama Wraps
- 6 jicama or celery sticks
- 3 slices ham
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Cut the ham slices in half.
- Wrap each slice around a jicama or celery stick.
- Serve with mustard for dipping.
Creamy Fruit Dip
- 225g cream cheese, softened
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Your choice of fruit to dip (strawberries, apple, melon and pineapple recommended)
- In a medium bowl or food processor, blend ingredients (except dipping fruit) until smooth.
- Cover and chill in fridge for 3 hours before serving with fruit to dip.
Nutty Rice Cake (GF)
- 1 brown rice cake
- 2 tsp almond butter
- ⅛ apple, thinly sliced
- Spread almond butter on rice cake.
- Top with apple slices.
Green Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- ½ firm ripe avocado
- Handful baby spinach
- 310mL low fat milk (or soy, almond, rice, coconut milk)
- ½ cup ice cubes
- 2 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp protein powder (optional)
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Divide into 2 glasses, serve immediately.
Chocolate Chunk Quinoa Cookies
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white spelt flour
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup walnuts and/or pecans, chopped
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper, and preheat oven to 180°C.
- Soften butter, cream with coconut sugar until pale. Add vanilla and egg, beat until well combined.
- Sift flour, cinnamon and baking powder together, add to butter mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Add nuts, chocolate and quinoa flakes and stir until well combined.
- Scoop balls of mixture with a tablespoon, placing 4cm apart on baking trays. Flatten slightly with a fork.
- Cook trays 1 at a time for 12 minutes each or until golden. After removing each tray, cool for 5 minutes then transfer onto a wire rack to finish cooling.