A great lunch at work can mean the difference between powering through the rest of the day at your best, or struggling to focus with one eye on the clock and the other on the vending machine. Making your own lean meals not only saves you money, but can also save your waistline as well. And with a few healthy lunch ideas, it can be easy, too!
Healthy Lunch Recipes
Turkey, Avocado, and Hummus Wrap
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 3 slices low-sodium turkey
- 2-3 tbs red pepper hummus
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- Pickle slices
- Spread hummus onto tortilla.
- Add turkey, avocado and pickle slices in layers.
- Roll and slice.
Asian-style Watermelon Salad
- ½ watermelon, flesh cut into 1cm chunks
- 20g sesame seeds
- ½ bunch fresh mint, finely sliced
- 1 bunch breakfast radishes, finely sliced
- 1 lime, wedges (optional)
For the spicy dressing:
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 thumb of ginger, peeled
- ½ clove of garlic, peeled
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tbs low-salt soy sauce
- In a hot dry pan over medium heat, toast sesame seeds until golden.
- Finely grate chillies, ginger and garlic into a jar or shaker.
- Squeeze in juice from the two limes, add sesame oil and soy sauce. Put lid on and shake well.
- Combine radishes and watermelon in a bowl, add the dressing and mint. Toss to combine.
- Scatter toasted sesame seeds over the top, optionally serve with lime wedges for extra juice.
Sweet Tuna Salad
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 2 tbs Greek yoghurt
- 3-4 tbs sweet relish
- 1 tbs honey mustard
- Salt and pepper
- Optional extras: baby carrot, onion, celery, corn, cucumber, chopped grapes, dried cranberries.
- 2 slices wholegrain or whole wheat bread (optional, for sandwich)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Try different extras each day to add variety.
- Enjoy in bread as a sandwich for a handy, utensil-free lunch.
Potato Rostis with Beetroot Horseradish
- 2 large potatoes, coarsely grated
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- ½ red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tbs creamed horseradish
- 2 medium beetroots, peeled and coarsely grated
- Squeeze excess liquid out of the potatoes.
- Lightly toast cumin seeds in a dry pan.
- Combine onion, garlic and potatoes in a large bowl. Add cumin and season. Shape into 4 patties with your hands.
- Heat vegetable oil in pan, fry patties on medium-low heat for 10 minutes per side. Be careful when turning them, and add more oil as needed.
- Combine horseradish and beetroot in a bowl. Serve on top of rostis.