Strengthening your core is an essential part of your workout routine; it’s the basis of a healthy body. Check out our top 4 ab workouts in today’s blog!
Abs Workout Routine – Get It Right
Have you been lusting after that buff bod on the cover of glossy mags and wondering how you could possibly achieve a similar look with your current fitness routine?
Or, let’s be honest, for many of us it’s the lack of physical activity holding us back from achieving our dream physique.
We suggest trying core strengthening exercises—once you kick-start that motivation and with regular practice, it’s a sure-fire way to help you not only turn that belly flab into something that more closely resembles abs, but also make it easier to maintain overall muscle tone in the future.
Outside of Pilates classes core strength can often be overlooked, but many people don’t realise how valuable tight tummy muscles are in enhancing your entire workout routine.
Your core basically acts as the central balancing point in your body, so improving your power in this area will have a steadying effect and literally keep you on your toes.
Another advantage is—the firmer your stomach, the better your posture—both good for your back and you’ll feel more uplifted (inside and out) when you present yourself to the world.
Best Core Exercises: Our Pick
Why We Love It: One of the top rated core workouts, this ripper of an ab workout is great for your gut and oblique muscles and best of all, it’s also super simple.
- Get horizontal and keep your hands at the back of your ears.
- Raise your head up, elevate those pins and flex your knees at 90 degrees.
- Pretend you’re in the Tour de France and peddle like no-one’s watching—as your left knee nears your torso, touch your right elbow to it and as your right knee approaches you, make contact with your left elbow.
- Repeat for 2 sets, each for 60 seconds.
The Spiderman Plank Crunch
Why We Love It: Another fantastic way to tone those abdominals, this gem among ab workouts engages every part of your core.
- Begin by assuming the usual plank position.
You know the drill—forearms on the floor and straighten yourself out.
- Place your right knee outwards in the direction of your right elbow before resuming your original pose.
- Start over by taking your other knee to your left elbow for one rep.
- Repeat this process by swapping sides for 10 reps.
Exercise Ball Roll Out
Why We Love It: For those with lower back problems, this method is ideal because it still effectively exercises your rectus abdominis with much less risk of pain or injury.
- Rest your knees on a mat while placing your hands on a Swiss stability ball.
- Making sure that your spine is kept in line, tense your stomach muscles then move the ball away from you as further as possible.
- Next, gradually roll it back to where it was before.
- Try and do this on the basis of 10 rollouts per two sets.
Yoga inspired Boat Pose
Why We Love It: one of the best core exercises for yogis and rookies alike!
- Get into a comfortable seated position, ensuring that your feet are on the ground, your knees are flexed, with your hands are placed underneath them.
- Thrust out your upper body and throw back those shoulders, keep those abs taut, then lift up your calves so that they become in line with the ground and then hold the position steady, bearing the weight with your glutes.
- Once you feel you can manage, start to stretch out your legs while reaching your arms out in front of you.
- Aim to maintain this position for 5-15 breaths before letting go and continue for 5 reps.
- Pro tip: your knees need to stay flexed during the exercise and if at any time you experience back pain, stop immediately.
Keen to start an abs workout routine but struggle to self-motivate?
Get in touch with ifeelgood24/7 and we’d be more than happy to hook you up with a flexible, no-fuss gym membership and expert advice for an affordable price!
With the option of super professional PTs to guide you, we’ll be be your fitness hero—call or email us today and get a free trial!